Saturday, June 21, 2008

Thing 6



WOW! Big Huge Labs is just that....so many interesting things that can be done with this site. I made a trading card of my almost-four year old to give out to her friends at her birthday party in a few weeks. I'm sure it will be a hit, at least with Nana and Grammy. :) I also made this jigsaw puzzle of an unhappy tourist on our trip to Alaska last summer. I could spend the rest of the summer playing on this site. I can imagine lots of uses for these applications, from mapping the location of famous landmarks in social studies to creating propaganda posters for language arts to making trading cards of famous people for Black History month, etc. What a great tool! I'm afraid that it will be blocked, though, like so many of the sites to which our district restricts access. I believe it was Alan November who said during his session at TLA this year something along the lines that we should also take away pencils and paper from the students because some of them might write inappropriate notes if we allow them to have those tools. Excellent point, in my opinion!

2 comments:

VWB said...

did you not just love him...I loved that particular quote myself! and his attitude was infectous...I fear I have had a few Alan November moments when encounering folks who just don't get it! The world moves on..with or without us!

M. Moore said...

I loved the book shelf on your blog. I made one for my blog. It was so much fun!