Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Thing 11

Library Thing was definitely interesting. I don't know how useful it will be, but I really like the idea of connecting people through their choice of reading material. However, I have to say that I still prefer actually going to the bookstore...wandering around my favorite sections....reading the covers or first chapters...and just soaking up the atmosphere created by surrounding yourself with thousands of actual books! Yes, I search for titles online. Yes, I use online services to create my lists for purchase orders at school. Yes, I've even read some portions of books online at Amazon. But when I have time (and it doesn't happen too often), I would still rather browse through the bookstore than visit any website to select my reading material. It is great, though, to have a chance to talk to others about the books that you've read, are currently reading, or want to read. I probably won't be a frequent visitor, but I'll definitely visit again. I think it would be a great way to find out more about books that are controversial before purchasing them for my library, as well as learning about new books, author appearances, and authors in my favorite genres with whom I might not be familiar.

No comments: