Saturday, July 19, 2008

Thing 16

Wikis...I had a small amount of experience with wikis prior to participating in the 23 things this summer. After attending a training session where I was introduced to pbwiki last summer, I created the AMES Library Lines wiki. My idea was to get students involved in recommending books to others, gathering comments on the current Bluebonnet nominees, seeking suggestions on books to be purchased and making everyone aware of upcoming events. I was really proud of my work and introduced the pages to each of my fifth grade classes at the beginning of the school year, but as you can see, there was no participation. I probably should have put more effort into getting the kids started with it, provided more opportunity for them to participate while in the library, and generally just pushed it a little more than I did. I think I would like to update my Bluebonnet page for this year and introduce more classes to the site. I would really like to get some students involved in creating content with me, but I'm just not sure what the best way to go about it is. FYI...I work in a Title I school with approximately 600 students from PK through 5th grade. We have computers in classrooms, six student stations in the library, but no lab. The majority of our students do not have regular access to a computer outside of school. Any ideas????

1 comment:

bookeatersclub said...

Great idea for book recommendation wiki! Since you now know what doesn't work, perhaps getting it going as soon as school starts with lots of promotion, you will have more success.

Good luck.